Pages

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Michael Phillips: Portrait of a loser – Part 2 (First blood)

Did you think I’d forget about my Designated Asshole, Michael Phillips? As you will see from the dates of the e-mails with Michael Phillips below, our  correspondence occurred about ten years ago.  I was bending over backwards to be appropriate at the time. Now I just feel very nihilistic. I don’t think this human shit has been exposed properly as the loser that he is.

The only thing I’ve altered in this correspondence is my name. My real name is not Dickie Richards. If you dig far enough into this blog you will find my real name. I just don’t like it broadcast all over the place. You could always ask mjp what my real name is.

Subject: Regarding Atom Mind
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:58:14 -0400
From: [Dickie Richards <Undisclosed>]
Organization: Undisclosed
To: mjp@smog.net, webmaster@smog.net

Dear Michael,

On your web site, subscription information and an order form is available for a journal called ATOM MIND. In 1996 I bought a subscription to ATOM MIND. The last issue I received was Summer/1997, and I am still owed two more issues. I wrote to the editor of ATOM MIND asking why it was that he was advertising for his journal on your web site and yet had not put out an issue for two years. He did not respond.

As a writer yourself, Michael, I’m sure you can appreciate how important it is that small literary journals do not falsely advertise their product. If people are cheated by one journal, they will hesitate before subscribing to another journal -- it hurts the entire business, and hurting the business hurts the struggling writers.

ATOM MIND has effectively seized production of its journal and therefore cannot legitimately sell subscriptions. Advertising for a non-existent product is false advertising and is illegal.

Accordingly, I respectfully request that you remove any reference in your web site to ATOM MIND being on sale.

Dickie Richards
[UNDISCLOSED E-MAIL]

Subject: Re: Regarding Atom Mind
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 02:45:33 -0700
From: Michael Phillips <mjp@smog.net>
To: Dickie Richards <Undisclosed e-mail>

"cheated", "false", "illegal"? -- you're fucked in the head, brother.

if you do subscribe to AM you've received the publisher's newsletter explaining his situation. along with his promise to fill out all subscriptions...listen, *I'M NOT MOTHER ROAD/ATOM MIND*, and i do not speak for them, defend them or make excuses for them. i put the info on the site to encourage subscriptions to one of the best lit mags being published. whether it comes out quarterly or every four years.

perhaps you think publishing a literary mag is like publishing TV Guide, but it isn't. 99.9% of these guys are putting up the bulk of the MONEY for each issue out of their own pockets. to come to me with your bullshit whining and complaints is not only insulting to the spirit of the endeavor, but god damn irritating.

"as a writer" you say - don't give me that shit! don't fucking patronize me. yes, i am a writer. and yes, unlike you, i know how this shit works. maybe *you* are a ("struggling") writer. i would not be surprised, everyone else is. maybe you are uptight, anal and angry because no one will publish your shitty, struggling writing. maybe not. i don't know.

but really - what shit your letter is! what whining, mealy-mouthed, embarrassing, tightass, pussy shit. i feel sorry for you.

i don't speak for ATOM MIND, but i speak for smog.net, and smog.net says;

"fuck you, and the dainty unicorn you rode in on!"

your pal,
mjp

p.s.
that's "ceased", not "seized". you can't even complain properly...

Subject: Re: Regarding Atom Mind
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:29:15 -0400
From: Dickie Richards <Undisclosed>
Organization: Undisclosed
To: Michael Phillips <mjp@smog.net>
References: 1

The fact remains that you are accepting advertising for a journal that bills itself as a quarterly and yet has not put out an issue for two years. I have consulted with an attorney over this, and he has explained to me that what you are doing is illegal. Later this month I plan to file a grievance regarding your organization's actions with the Attorney General of the State of California.

Dickie Richards

Subject: Re: Regarding Atom Mind
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 02:48:34 -0700
From: Michael Phillips <mjp@smog.net>
To: Dickie Richards <Undisclosed>
References: 1

At 04:29 PM 9/14/99 -0400, you wrote:

dear dickie,
go fuck yourself.

pjm

No comments: