Pages

Friday, April 17, 2009

The IRS

I remember when I was about 18 and completely broke and living in some state of homelessness. My mother had an accountant do my taxes. It was one of her many hair-brained schemes to help me. Had I thought for myself and not trusted the authority of others in my youth I would not have been the traumatized adult that I am now. The accountant made an error and really fucked me over. I owed a lot to the IRS. The IRS kept sending me these letters threatening to take my wages and put leans on my property. I became so infuriated one day that I sent them a long angry letter starting with "Is it a crime in America to be poor?" And then I ended the letter challenging and inviting them to take non-existent wages and put leans on non-existent property. I was basically saying that that they had no power over me because I had nothing. And they should go ahead and make my day. This letter was written out of madness. It would not be written like that if I was in a right state of mind. What is interesting is that the IRS wrote back telling me that at this time they were not going to pursue further action.

No comments: