Pages

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Steal This Book

I was recently looking at a copy of Abbie Hoffman's Steal This Book online. I've read the actual book a while back, and every time I read it, I love it. Partly for its revolutionary zeal and partly for how ludicrous parts of the book are.

Here is one of my favorite passages in the book:

"Those ridiculous free introductory or subscription type letters that you get in the mail often have a postage-guaranteed return postcard for your convenience. The next one you get, paste it on a brick and drop it in the mailbox. The company is required by law to pay the postage. You can also get rid of all your garbage this way."

There's been several occasions in my life where I was pissed off enough at an organization, that I've wanted to attach a brick to their postage-guaranteed mailer. The only thing that stopped me was that I wasn't sure if it was still legal. And even if it were legal, you'd still probably have the Postal Inspector hassle you. It's just not worth the trouble, no matter how deserving institutions are of having bricks taped to their postage-guaranteed mailers.

No comments: