Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2009

The preemptive post date e-mail rejection

I went out on a date on Thursday evening. Met her on OkayCupid. I had low expectations going into the date. She seemed ... well ... a little too waspy and too straight for me. Also, she was 7 years younger than me, beautiful, and had no children. This is the type of woman that had a huge pool of men available to her who make a lot more money than I do. I was probably just a curiosity to her.

I knew within about the first two minutes of meeting her that it probably wasn't going to work out between us, but I always play the hand, hoping to find some connection. In this case she chose a noisy bar to meet and communication was somewhat of a challenge. At the end of the date she extended her hand. I asked her for a hug even though I knew I wasn't ever going to meet her again. I always do this. It is the politician inside me. Also, I think it is sort of a nicer way of ending things.

As soon as I get home I find this letter in my inbox from her:


Hi Ed,

Hope you got home ok.
It was nice to meet you this evening ... always cool to meet new people.

All the best to you in your pursuits.
Katha


All the best to you in your pursuits? This is the first preemptive rejection e-mail I've ever gotten. Is she out of her goddamn mind? I wasn't interested in her. I have had younger women than her, who were vastly more intelligent and beautiful than her interested in me. And the reason is, I am a smart guy and a rebel and women find this sexy. I don't know what the fuck she take me for? It's really insulting. Was it the hug? What the fuck was with this woman?

I wrote her back saying I was "very happy to have met you." This would have been true had she not turned out to be such an asshole.

No comments: