Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

This is how they fail you at Cambridge University

31 January 2012

Dear [UNDISCLOSED],

CELTA Course – C11 HU050 IH Budapest

I am writing in relation to your complaint about the CELTA course at C11 HU050 IH Budapest.

As you are aware your portfolio, the Assessor’s report on the course were examined at a recent Award meeting here in Cambridge.

The final Fail grade was confirmed. It was judged that there is not enough evidence in your portfolio to support a Pass grade.

In your original email you indicated that you wished to appeal the grade, in light of your confirmed grade, please could you confirm whether you wish to pursue this matter?

Yours sincerely

juliet-wilson-sig 
Juliet Wilson
Director
Customer Services
Cambridge ESOL

________________________________________
Cambridge ESOL Teaching Awards
I Hills Road
Cambridge
CB1 2EU

web-site: www.CambridgeESOL.org/teaching

Experts in Language Assessment

 

This letter is not from an official at some junk community college. This is Cambridge fucking University. Really important people went to this school, and I’m talking, really, really important people, like Newton and Darwin and Hawking.

One would think that I would have been invited to this Award meeting. I could have helped these illiterate Cambridge fucks with their English as they criticized my ability to teach English. This is not the only piece of evidence I have of these fucking imposters writing like shit.

“As you are aware your portfolio, the Assessor’s report on the course were examined at a recent Award meeting here in Cambridge.”

  • I have no idea what “As you are aware your portfolio” means.
  • “[R]eport” is a singular noun. It needs a singular verb. It should be “was examined,” not “were examined.”


“In your original email you indicated that you wished to appeal the grade, in light of your confirmed grade, please could you confirm whether you wish to pursue this matter?”

  • Two main clauses are separated by a comma. The first comma should be replaced by a period.
  • I would say “could you please,” instead of “please could you.”


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi!
I did a CELTA in Barcelona last month. I got a "Pass" and apparently, I'm a strong pass, as they like to call my case... U'll think my situation is better than yours and so it seems if you only consider the final grade. Nobody failed in our group, even though there were some who had nothing to do with teaching/grammar. Well, I totally disagree with the first tutor's judgment, I was "Above Standard" in general and especially in my group of 12. But, it all happened because of this tutor who wanted to put me in my place, because I'm not an English native speaker (British, ideally!). The school is on the teacher's side and I'm afraid Cambridge will be too. I am really disappointed and frustrated and angry! I wrote a really strong complaint against the tutor and he wrote me back a reply playing the fool, but acknowledging my merits and sharing the guilt with the other tutor and the assessor who all agreed I was a "Pass". Now, I'm about to pay for the Cambridge re-evaluation but I am full of doubts. What did you do? Did you go any further than Cambridge?