Pages

Saturday, February 09, 2013

Regarding cunt and calling people cunts

Okay, I have decided not to call people cunts on Bastard Universe anymore. I have only called one person a cunt in the entire history of this blog. I’m not saying that this person was not a cunt, or that she did not deserve being called a cunt, I’m just saying that one cannot do this. There’s no context; it just looks bad.

My father once criticized me for referring to my next door neighbor as a cunt. (She is a very evil person. I keep meaning to write about her.) What’s funny is that I have heard my father call his mother-in-law and his daughter-in-law a cunt for many years. What is politically correct for one is not necessarily politically correct for someone else.

Once at a slam poetry event a woman was invited to give special reading of her poem before the slam – and I will never forget the title of her poem as long as I live": “Cunt Country.” It was an over-top, in-your-face-poem about lesbians and lesbianism. The word cunt must have been uttered a good hundred times. I thought it was very rousing, though the graphic nature of the poem did make me a little queasy. Had the poet not been so obese, I don’t think it would have been so difficult to hear about the intimate details of the poet’s vulva. I personally congratulated the poet for writing such a powerful poem.

No comments: