Pages

Thursday, October 04, 2012

The 18 tram and the most hideous bridge in Budapest

I hopped on the 18 tram from Széll Kálmán Square not knowing where it the would take me. I was really excited, but started getting less excited as some big guy on the tram started to give me a weird look as I passed by miles and miles of depressing, Soviet style apartment complexes. Good crap, when does this tram end? I hope I don’t get mugged by someone who thinks that because I wear Ray Ban sunglasses, I must have money. The last stop on the tram was a dumpy mall called Savoya Park that had a big store in it that looked like a Walmart. I didn’t venture into the store, because Hungarians often get weird about your backpack and want you to check it in, and I just didn’t want to deal with that hassle.

GEDC0043 

GEDC0034

On my way back I hopped off the tram to take photos of and from the most hideous bridge in Budapest, the Liberty Bridge. I think it’s the pukey color that makes this bridge so awful, not the bridge itself. Mad men and women bicycle riders whizzed by me in a blur as I did so and scared the living shit out of me.

GEDC0050

Gellért Hill is above.

GEDC0045 

GEDC0073

GEDC0074

GEDC0077

This is my favorite bridge in Budapest, the Elisabeth, as seen from the Liberty.

 GEDC0090 - Copy - Copy n

GEDC0068

No comments: