Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

I’m following Gina Rinehart’s advice

You want how much?

Gina Rinehart, world’s richest woman, is a fucking pig, in more ways than one, but in some ways she’s right.

“There is no monopoly on becoming a millionaire. If you're jealous of those with more money don't just sit there and complain, do something to make more money yourself. Spend less time drinking, smoking and socializing and more time working.”

Rinehart doesn’t understand capitalism. Not everyone can be a millionaire; only a few. Capitalism needs people at the bottom to exploit, as evidenced by Rinehart’s recent bitching moaning about having to pay a minimum wage. She’s also wrong about the poor socializing too much. The poor don’t socialize very much. They’re too busy working or too depressed about being poor. Rinehart is right about the drinking and smoking – especially the smoking. This is an incredibly expensive habit. Fortunately, I was able to give this up 15 years ago. Drinking can get expensive too. I’ve needed to curtail my drinking considerably in order to cut costs. I am saving a lot, probably about $75 a month. I’m probably going to cut my Netflix and my cable internet, which will save me another $75 a month. (I cancelled my television a long time ago.) I’ve switched from $11 coffee beans to $6 packaged ground coffee. It really tastes like shit. I’m considering cutting coffee altogether. That’d probably save me about $20 a month. I have also switched to much cheaper and healthier protein sources and am on a 2300 calorie maintenance diet. I didn’t do this to save money, but I am amazed by the vast amounts of money I save by not eating like Gina Rinehart. I stopped drying my clothes. I bought a clothes drying rack -- a good one -- for $30. The dryer kills your clothes. They don’t use dryers in Hungary. They’re not necessary. The drying rack saves me about $50 a year. I don’t use the 150 watt torch lamp anymore to light my room. This was not intentional. It’s on its last leg. Now I use a 15 watt reading lamp to light my room. The darkness really closes in sometimes, but it’s the price you pay for poverty. I only have the air condition on a few hours a day now. It gets hot, really hot.

Over the last twenty years, what have I pissed away? Maybe $10,000 on smoking during the years that I smoked. Probably between $5,000 to $10,000 thousand on gambling, if you include all the poker books I bought and the motel rooms I stayed at in order to gamble. I have probably easily consumed about $10,000 dollars worth of alcohol. I’ve probably spent the same amount on coffee. I’ve consumed, through overeating, about $20,000 worth of calories. I haven’t even factored in the money I spent on entertainment such as Netflix, Astroglide, and Hungary. (Forgive me, Hungary for putting you in the same category as Astroglide. Hungarians are not the wankers that we are.) With all the money I pissed away on vices I could have exploited the housing meltdown and bought a junk foreclosed house to live in a nice bad neighborhood. There, having low expenses, I could have drunk myself and eaten myself into oblivion.

No comments: