Pages

Friday, January 07, 2011

Just another damn day above ground…

Hi Kitty,

You don't have to be sorry. We never made firm plans. The English teaching job situation for Americans wanting to get full-time work (with work permits) in Hungary seems very gloomy, as it is in all of Central Europe. So, taking the course in Hungary probably won't afford me any real advantages beyond seeing Europe. I really did want to see Budapest; however, your language scares the living crap out of me -- and I do not have time to study even enough of it to get by, which would take months. This creates an additional disincentive not to go. I still haven't made up my mind; I will in about a month. Despite my anxieties, I might go because I know that if I don't see Europe now I never will, as I have no more money coming in. Maybe, if I go, I can get one of my classmates or students to drive me to Lake Balaton. (I'd of course pay for a rental.) I'm actually more interested in seeing the countryside than the city. I feel suffocated by cities and want to escape.

I have no idea what is going on with your stay in Italy. I am a little afraid to ask. I don't know if this is work-related, you have a mysterious Italian lover, or this part of your duties as a secret agent. Your mastery of English exceeds that of all Hungarians who teach English on OkayCupid. You are perhaps a spy, trained by some spy agency. I am of course kidding, but, well, you never know...

-Dickie