Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Douglas State Forest

The most fun part of my journey from Boston to Southeast Connecticut, where I play poker, is driving through the Douglas State Forest in Douglas, Massachusetts. From Massachusetts, once you drive through the forest, you’re in Connecticut, only there are no signs telling you so. I choose this unusual route because I can no longer drive on highways. On this day, I encountered a strange animal while driving through the forest…

Forest road,  at one point it gets exceptionally narrow.

GEDC0101

 

Notice there is green to the left and right – you are in the middle of a forest. Garmin GPS device, which I have since returned, was wrong about the street. It’s actually S.E. Main St.

GEDC0098

 

I came upon some type of wild animal while I was coming back, perhaps a baby moose.

GEDC0104

No, it wasn’t a moose, it looked dog-like, but it couldn’t be a dog – it way way too big to be a dog. Maybe it was a hybrid moose/dog. Perhaps it’s genetically possible to combine both moose and dog.

GEDC0105

Whatever it was, it scared the crap out of me. It looked mangy, so I threw it some bologna that I had, but there was no way in hell I was getting out my car.

GEDC0106

Then, the weirdest thing happened. Some young and very hot looking woman going the opposite way stopped her car and asked me if I was the dog’s owner. She got out of her car and inspected the dog, completely fearless of both the giant dog and a strange man (me) in the middle of a forest.

GEDC0108

The dog had a collar yet no tags. It might’ve belonged to a hiker, yet it might also have been lost. The woman cell-phoned some animal shelters. I had tried to feed the dog some water out of my hand, but that didn’t work. The dog didn’t understand what I was trying to do. There was nothing more that I could do. I left. I didn’t take any photos of the hot young woman. That would not have been polite. You’ll just have to trust me on this.

GEDC0109